Tuesday 9am - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
a. Prior to joining the meeting, we ask members to temporarily disable their call waiting by dialing *70 before calling the number to the phone bridge (example *70-1-712-432-8733). If a member does not disable their call waiting, we may hear your conversation or beeping.
b. When you dial in, you will start the conference being muted.
c. Stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. You can un-mute by pressing your *1 keys. You will hear a voice saying “you are now un-muted”. Some phones do not have a long enough beep for the muting and un-muting to happen. You may have to press *1 several times for this function to work. When the voice comes on, you will know that the *1 keys have worked.
d. We ask members to use the *1 keys to mute even if they have a mute function on their individual phones. The *1 keys ensures the greatest sound strength for the entire phone line and provides the greatest service to all members of the phone bridge during the meeting.
e. Please do not use a speaker phone for sharing or we will all hear an echo. Some speaker phones will not mute even when pressing your *1 keys.
To hear a menu of all the features--such as volume control or member count--simply press * by itself.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other
Your Web Coordinator
The Meeting Format Starts Now
(This is the part you read out loud)
Al-Anon’s Tuesday 9:00am Step One Beginners Meeting
1. Hi I am ---- your secretary for this meeting. We welcome you to the Tues 9:00 am Step One Beginners Meeting. The intention of this meeting is for newcomers to Al-Anon to feel welcome and to know how important you are to our fellowship. All Al-Anon members are always welcome here. The topic for this meeting is Step One. We hope that the reading and study of the Step will help the newcomer feel that they are part of our Al-Anon Family Group.
Business Meeting is on the 1st Tuesday of the Month
2. Let all who wish to unmute by pressing * 1 and join us to say the SERENITY PRAYER
3. Ask for volunteers to read:
a) Al-Anon’s Preamble to The Twelve Steps
b) Al-Anon’s 12 Steps (one page after December 31 in all three mediations books)
c) One Tradition & One Concept of the month (one and two pages respectively after the 12 Steps in all three meditation books) Note to Secretary: after a volunteer steps up to read Concept 12 please add (PLEASE READ THE FIVE GENERAL WARRANTIES OF THE CONFERENCE THAT FOLLOW CONCEPT 12.)
4. 7th Tradition: Al-Anon is fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions. We ask that you send your contributions to WSO 1600 Corporate Landing Parkway Virginia Beach, VA 23454-5617 phone 757-563-1600 and website www.al-anon.alateen.org/members or make donations at face to face meetings. Our WSO ID is 30534439.
5. Let’s go around the globe and introduce ourselves.
Hi, I am _________(Name)_____ from (_______State___)
6. Please disable your call waiting before dialing into the meeting, and do not share on a speaker-phone, or we will all hear an echo. And please stay muted at all times unless you are sharing.
TOPIC: Leader asks for readers to read Step One from: (note only say the
appropriate weeks reading)
1st week of month How Al-Anon Works
2nd week of the month 12&12 (to end of Step One)
3rd week of the month Paths To Recovery (up to Members share)
4th week of month 3 Meditation books (One Day at a Time, Hope for Today, Courage to Change)
5th week of month Speaker on Step One 15-20 minutes
if anyone would like to share on Step One for 5 minutes. (If no one steps up
the leader may share or open the meeting for sharing)
(On the fifth week of the month a Speaker shares for 15-20 minutes)
*Ask if speaker wants to leave their number?
9. ANONYMITY STATEMENT: In Al-Anon, this is a gentle reminder that we speak from our own experience and ours is derived from living with the effects of alcoholism. We ask those who are members of other anonymous programs not to break their anonymity and to try and identify with the Al-Anon approach for the family illness. Ours is a different experience and calls for a different interpretation.
10. By group conscience, and for the safety of our members, we do not comment on or respond to another person’s share. In Al-Anon we speak from the “I” perspective and we don’t give advice.
11. TIMEKEEPER: ASK FOR TIMEKEEPER: We have 3 minute shares do we have a volunteer to be our spiritual timekeeper? Please be gentle when you call time. When you hear the timekeeper call time please let them know you heard them by saying Thank you, I’ll wrap up, etc.
12. OPEN FOR SHARING: We invite newcomers and those new to the phone bridge to share first. (After 2- 3 newcomers have shared, say the following.) The floor is now open for everyone to share. If you recently shared at this meeting, would you consider waiting a moment so that someone who has not had a chance to share recently may have a chance.
THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR SERVICE (at top of hour)
14. SUGGESTED AL-ANON CLOSING:
Chair reads or asks a volunteer to read the Al-Anon closing found on page 22 in the Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual or page 396 in the new version of How Al-Anon Works or page 380 in the old version of How Al-Anon Works.
(On the first Tuesday of the month, ask “Since there is a business meeting today, is there someone who can leave their phone number to greet newcomers and answer their questions?”)
15. If you’d like to ask for a number or give your number, you can do that now. (phone exchange happens now).
16. Are there any Al-Anon related announcements?
17. The bridge remains open for questions and sharing after the official meeting ends. At this meeting, fellowship continues as long as there are 2 people on the line or until the next scheduled meeting. Are there any available sponsors? Is there someone who can stay after the meeting to greet newcomers and answer questions and continue the sharing?
To hear meeting schedules on the main line the phone number is 712-432-8733 & the PIN code spells TIMES. The number associated with all phone schedules has the PIN 52639#.
Meeting schedules, formats and additional information can be accessed at www.phonemeetings.org. Format changes per individual group conscience can be emailed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. For general questions email email@example.com
To find a meeting go to Al-Anon.org
To hear meeting schedule for this bridge dial 1-712-432-8463
To hear meeting schedule for all phone bridges dial 1-712-432-8774
All Eastern Time Zones on same phone and pin number dialed in for this meeting;
6am 7 days a week
Saturday and Sunday
9am Weekdays (Monday thru Friday)
Noon Monday ----- Saturday
4pm 7 days a week
Saturday and Sunday
8pm 7 days a week
10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
12 midnight Monday and Thursday
Secretary turns the meeting over to the newcomer greeter for approximately 25 minutes after the meetings closes
FORMAL MEETING IS NOW CLOSED.
OPEN FOR MORE FELLOWSHIP AND TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS FROM NEWCOMERS OR PEOPLE NEW TO THE PHONE BRIDGE.