Thursday 4pm - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
a. Prior to joining the meeting, we ask members to temporarily disable their call waiting by dialing *70 before calling the number to the phone bridge (example *70-1-712-432-8733). If a member does not disable their call waiting, we may hear your conversation or beeping.
b. When you dial in, you will start the conference being muted.
c. Stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. You can un-mute by pressing your *1 keys. You will hear a voice saying “you are now un-muted”. Some phones do not have a long enough beep for the muting and un-muting to happen. You may have to press *1 several times for this function to work. When the voice comes on, you will know that the *1 keys have worked.
d. We ask members to use the *1 keys to mute even if they have a mute function on their individual phones. The *1 keys ensures the greatest sound strength for the entire phone line and provides the greatest service to all members of the phone bridge during the meeting.
e. Please do not use a speaker phone for sharing or we will all hear an echo. Some speaker phones will not mute even when pressing your *1 keys.
f. To hear a menu of all the features--such as volume control or member count--simply press * by itself.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other.
Your Web Coordinator
THE MEETING FORMAT STARTS NOW
(This is the part you read out loud)
"THIS IS THE PROPOSED FORMAT FOR THE GROUP TO LOOK OVER, MAKE ANY NECESSARY CHANGES, POSSIBLY ACCEPT, AND THEN TO VOTE IN!" AS PER GROUP CONSCIOUS!
THURSDAY 4 PM SLOGAN MEETING
1) Hi I’m _______ your Secretary for this meeting. We Welcome you to the Thursday 4 pm Beginners Slogan Meeting. The intention of this meeting is for newcomers to Al-Anon to feel welcome and to know how important you are to our fellowship. All Al-Anon members are always welcomed here. The topic for this meeting is reading the Slogans from one of the following; How Al-Anon Works, The Three Daily Mediations Books or Conference Approved Literature (CAL). We hope that the reading of the Slogans will help the newcomer feel that they are part of our Al-Anon Family Group.
2) Let all who wish to un mute by pressing * and 1 and join us to say the SERENITY PRAYER
3) Phone Etiquette:
--Use *70 to disable call waiting before calling in
--You enter the meeting muted
--Unmute and mute with *1 keys
--Do not share on a speaker phone
--Please stay muted at all times unless sharing
4. Ask for volunteers to read:
a. Al-Anon’s Preamble to The Twelve Steps
b. Al-Anon’s 12 Steps (one page after December 31 in all three mediations books)
c. One Tradition & One Concept of the month (one and two pages respectively after the 12 Steps in all three meditation books)
5) Now we go around the Globe and introduce ourselves Hi I'm _____from ___
5)a Are there any newcomers who would like to introduce themselves
tradition: Al-Anon is fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
We ask that you send your contributions to WSO and state that it is from
Thursday 4p.m. Slogan Meeting WSO ID#30536464 or make donations at face to face
Business meeting 1st Thursday of the month?
Are there any other Al-Anon announcements?
7.) Secretary reads this then all of the Slogans
some of Al-Anon's practices and principles that take a while to learn and
apply, the Al-Anon slogans are easy to learn and remember. You may have heard
some of these slogans hundreds of times before without ever taking them
seriously or trying to put them to work. After all, they are clichés, and easy
to disregard, But it is their very simplicity that makes them so powerful. (How
Al-Anon Works, pg. 66).
Keep it Simple
But for the Grace of God
Easy Does It
First Things First
Just For Today
Let It Begin with Me
How Important Is It
One Day At A Time
Keep an Open Mind
Let Go and Let God
Principles Above Personalities
Progress Not Perfection
Together We Can Make It
Listen and Learn
Keep Coming Back
8.) The Slogans are done in consecutive order. The topic today will
be next slogan on the list. Note: If the Chair doesn't know the slogan ask the
group. If the slogan is still unknown from the previous week, the Chair may
choose the slogan.
a) How Al-Anon Works or
b) 3 meditation books or
c) any other Conference Approved Literature
9) After the reading the Secretary asks if there is someone: who has been in the program for at least 6 months and would like to qualify for 5 minutes on today’s Slogan. If no one steps up the Secretary can qualify or go right to sharing.
10) ASK FOR TIMEKEEPER: We have 3 minute shares do we have a volunteer to be our spiritual timekeeper? Please be gentle when you call time. When you hear the timekeeper call time please let them know you heard them.
Note to chair: Please repeat the slogan or topic of the meeting.
11) Read: In Al-Anon, this is a gentle reminder that we speak from our own experience and ours is derived from living with the effects of alcoholism. We ask those who are members of other anonymous programs not to break their anonymity and to try and identify with the Al-Anon approach for the family illness. Ours is a different experience and calls for a different interpretation. Please do not interrupt or directly comment on another persons share. (Do not read aloud note to secretary you may un mute and reread this statement)
12) OPEN FOR SHARING: We ask the timekeeper if they would like to share first? We are now open for 3 minute shares we invite newcomers to share now (NOTE TO SECRETARY After 2 or 3 newcomers open the floor to everyone)
13) CLOSING: It is now 3 minutes before the hour I want to thank everyone for their service. It is now time to close the meeting. At this meeting people can ask for numbers or give out their number to give or receive outreach. Call out the names now and we will get the numbers after the meeting closes. We will also read the list of all the Al-Anon phone meetings on the phone bridges after the meeting closes. The bridge remains open for questions and sharing after the official meeting ends. At this meeting fellowship continues as long as there are 2 or more people on the line or until the next meeting is scheduled to begin. Are there any available sponsors? Is there someone who can stay after the meeting to greet newcomers and answer questions and continue the sharing.
SUGGESTED AL-ANON CLOSING:
Leader or a volunteer will read the closing from How Al-Anon Works page 396 or older book page 380, (or in the Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual page 22).
Let’s unmute and close with The Serenity Prayer followed by the
Al-Anon Declaration, which can be found in Paths to Recovery Roman Numeral page IX, (page 9).
Meeting is now closed
GET NUMBERS OR GIVE YOUR NUMBER FOR OUTREACH
All Eastern Time Zones on the same number and pin as you dialed in for this meeting.
6am 7days a week
Saturday and Sunday
9am Weekdays (Monday thru Friday)
Noon Monday ----- Saturday
4pm 7 days a week
8pm 7 days a week
10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
12 midnight Monday and Thursday
Now ________ will answer questions from newcomers and continue fellowship.