Monday 10pm - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other.
Your Web Coordinator
The Meeting Format Starts Now
(This is the part you read out loud)
Monday 10pm Blueprint for Progress
1. “Welcome to the Blue Print for Progress 4th step writing meeting.
Hi, my name is ____________________, a grateful Al-Anon member and your secretary for this meeting.”
a. Prior to joining the meeting, we ask members to temporarily disable their call waiting by dialing *70 before calling the number to the phone bridge (example *70-1-712-432-8733). If a member does not disable their call waiting, we may hear your conversation or beeping.
b. When you dial in, you will start the conference being muted.
c. Stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. You can un-mute by pressing your *1 keys. You will hear a voice saying “you are now un-muted”. Some phones do not have a long enough beep for the muting and un-muting to happen. You may have to press *1 several times for this function to work. When the voice comes on, you will know that the *1 keys have worked.
d. We ask members to use the *1keys to mute even if they have a mute function on their individual phones. The *1 keys ensures the greatest sound strength for the entire phone line and provides the greatest service to all members of the phone bridge during the meeting.
e. Please do not use a speaker phone for sharing or we will all hear an echo. Some speaker phones will not mute even when pressing your *1 keys.
f. To hear a menu of all the features--such as volume control or member count--simply press * by itself.
2. 7th Tradition: AL-Anon is fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
We ask that you send your contributions to WSO and state that it is from the Monday 10pm Blueprint for Progress Meeting WSO ID___________.
3. Do we have any Al-anon related announcements?
4. Meeting time schedule will be read at the end of the meeting after Number are given out
5. Let’s go around the globe and introduce ourselves. Hi, I am ______(Name)_____ from (_______State___)
6. Business Meeting is on the 1st Monday of the Month
7. Let’s open with a moment of silence for those family members still suffering inside and outside of these rooms, followed by the Serenity Prayer. Press *1 if you would like to join us.
8. . Hello again to everyone. This meeting’s format may be different than other formats. We will be writing and using the newest revised version of Al-Anon’s Blueprint for Progress. If you don’t have this work book yet, please have a piece of paper and something to write. Writing is part of the meeting. We will be doing just that, a written 4th step.
9. We will tell you how to order THE REVISED EXPANDED EDITION OF BLUE PRINT FOR PROGRESS from Al-anon at the after the meeting closes or ask for it at your local meeting. But until then we will read you the questions as they are written in the workbook. All you need is a paper and something to write.
10. It is our intention in this meeting to start from the beginning of the Blue Print for Progress and work through it until completed. One of the tools of al-anon is writing. The physical words on paper can free our mind, collect our thoughts and stop the rehashing of what unconscientiously can be repeated with non-useful results. Because this al-anon tool (of writing) works well, the focus of the meeting is to write your answers. The written questions will go in order of the workbook.
a. Basically, we will do 3 or 5 sub-questions a meeting always followed by the FINDINGS question at the end of a MAIN CATEGORY. Next meeting we will pick up where we left off.
11. Simply put, the meeting will go as follows.
A. We will do some readings.
B. Then you will be asked 3 to 5 inventory questions for this week. This will give you time for 1 to 4 sentences on each question. The thought is that the short answers will build up to comprehensive inventory to go over it with your sponsor or whoever you ask to do your fifth step. There are over 300 questions.
C. There will a silent pause of 2 to 3 minutes between each question for members to write.
D. Individuals will then read all their answers and follow with a 2 minute timed share stating “Having written on_________________ what did you learn about yourself.”
Ok with all that said let’s begin the work book for the day.
12. Does someone have the revised edition of the Blue Print for Progress? If so would you please read all of page 9 and ending with the first paragraph on page 10? (if no one has the book, leader reads it)
13. Would someone please read the paragraphs below the Category we are working on this week? Leader or member reads the Category Paragraph before the question, Like HONESTY, SELF WORTH
14. Would someone please read the Reflections for that Category?
15. Read the first question (where ever you left off at) three times slowly, as if someone was writing the question down. Tell everyone that you will return in a few minutes and that there will be silence for them to write and you will return. Mute yourself as well.
16. Here is the first question……….
17. Say the second question in the same manner and speed (as first) and allowing again 2 minutes for people to write before returning.
18. Here is the second question………
19. Here is the third question….. and so on if more questions
20. Ok so now we are in the sharing part of the meeting. As said before, members share their answers, by reading what they wrote, when done with the questions then following with a 2 minutes share for the Findings question, stating having answered these questions on this subject “……. “What did I learn about myself? If you didn’t write tonight you have the option to have a 2 minutes share from the top of your head.
21. Who would like to share?
Ask members if there were able to write their answers? If not then invite them to have a 2 minute share. You are the timer in this meeting…. Because not everyone will just read their answers without adlibbing, so some do there finding with their answers. So you may have to play it by ear.
Ok thank you for all that shared.
Now we will read you the questions for next week. So read them the next question for the week (twice slowly)
22. Ok, now it is time to give out the information of how to get the Revised Expanded Blueprint for Progress work book. One of 3 ways.
A. First go to your individual meetings and ask for it
B. Call Al-Anon world service at (757) 563-1600
C. You can get the Revised Blue Print for Progress by going to www.al-anon.alateen.org then click on the English link and then under Publications go to “Shop on line”. Once there go to “Product Search” and type in P-91 or Blue print for progress. When the pictures of the wordbooks come up, make sure you get the revised expanded edition. They have the older one there as well. You want the newest revised expanded one to follow this meeting.
Now it is time to call out the names of people you would like to get a phone number from and after the closing in the meeting schedule we will get the numbers.
Chairperson reads or asks a volunteer to read: The Al-Anon Suggested Closing. (The Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual pg. 22 or How Al-Anon Works pg. 396 the or older book pg. 380)
Thank you everyone that read and shared and special thank you for our Spiritual timer.
Meeting schedule and information can be accessed on the web at www.alanonphonemeetings.org. Format changes can be sent to email@example.com. Any new meetings and format drafts ideas can be brought to the Group Conscious Meeting on the 4th Saturday 1:30 EST.
All Eastern Time Zones, same phone and pin number as you dialed in for this meeting.
6am 7 days a week
Saturday and Sunday
9am Weekdays (Monday thru Friday)
Noon Monday ----- Saturday
4pm 7 days a week
8pm 7 days a week
10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
12 midnight Monday and Thursday
All who would like to join me in the Serenity Prayer, please press *1
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
(Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual pg. 12)
Ok is ________________ on the line? Would you like to give out your phone #?
Secretary turns the meeting over to the newcomer greeter for approximately 25 minutes after the meetings closes.
Thank you all Good night.
FORMAL MEETING IS NOW CLOSED. Thank you all Good night.