Friday 4pm - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other.
Your Web Coordinator
The Meeting Format Starts Now
(This is the part you read out loud)
Friday 4 pm Step Twelve Meeting
Hi I am ___________ your secretary for this meeting.
We Welcome you to the Friday 4 pm Step Twelve Meeting. The topic of this meeting is the study of Step Twelve using different Al-Anon literature each week.
All Al-Anon members are always welcome here. We hope that reading and studying of Step Twelve will help to deepen our relationship to service.
2) SERENITY PRAYER
Let all who wish to un-mute by pressing *1 and join in saying the Serenity Prayer.
3) PHONE ETIQUETTE:
a. Disable your call waiting by pressing *70 before you call in
b. You will enter the conference muted. Unmute using the *1 key.
c. Please do not share on a speakerphone or we will all hear an echo.
d. Please stay muted at all times unless you are sharing.
e. You can get a complete menu by pressing the * key.
4) READING: ASK FOR VOLUNTEERS TO READ:
THE TWELVE STEPS
(Back of all 3 Meditation Books)
THE TRADITION AND CONCEPT OF THE MONTH (Back of 3 Meditation Books)
Do we have any newcomers on the bridge? If you want to introduce yourself, you can do so by pressing your *1 Keys so we can welcome you.
Now let’s go around the globe and introduce ourselves. Hi, I am ______(Name)_____ from (_______State___)
6) READING ON STEP 12: Leader asks for readers to read on Step Twelve from:
1st week of the month Al-Anon
12 and 12 up to the section Thinking It Over.
2nd week of the month 3 Meditation books (One Day at a Time, Hope for Today, Courage to Change)
3rd week of the month Paths To Recovery (up to Members share)
4th week of month How Al-Anon Works
5th week of the month Reaching for Personal Freedom workbook. Read ALL paragraphs without the questions. (NO LEAD Share for week 5)
7) LEAD SHARE: Is there someone with at least six months in the program who would like to speak on their experience, strength and hope on Step 12 for five minutes? (If no one steps up, the Leader may qualify or open the meeting to sharing.)
8) ANONYMITY STATEMENT: In Al-Anon this is a gentle reminder that we speak from our own experience and ours is derived from living with the effects of alcoholism. We ask those who are members of other anonymous fellowships not to break their anonymity and to try and identify with the Al-Anon approach for the family illness. Ours is a different experience and calls for a different interpretation.
9) ASK FOR TIMEKEEPER: We have 3-minute shares. Do we have a volunteer to be our spiritual timekeeper? Please be gentle when you call time. When you hear the timekeeper call time, please let them know you heard them by saying promptly: “ Thank you, I’ll wrap up, etc.
10) OPEN FOR SHARING: We are now open for 3-minute shares. We invite the timekeeper to share first. At 10 minutes to the top of the hour we open sharing specifically to newcomers and people new to the phone bridge. Newcomer may share at any time during this meeting.
a. 7th Tradition: Al-Anon is fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions. We ask that you send your contributions to WSO and state that it is from the Friday 4pm Step Twelve Meeting or make donations at face to face meetings.
b. A sponsor is someone with whom a member can discuss personal problems or questions. A sponsor willingly shares the experience, strength and hope of the Al-Anon program. If you can attend face-to-face meetings, please request the pamphlet Sponsorship, What It’s All About, P-31.
c. Are there any members who could answer questions about sponsorship in Al-Anon? You may leave your telephone number at this time. This is a gentle reminder that in Al-Anon sponsorship is a suggestion and not a requirement.
d. Do we have a volunteer who will stay on the line after the meetings to answer questions about Al-Anon or to explain the phone etiquette?
e. The Business Meeting is held on the 1st Friday of the Month.
f. Are there any other Al-Anon related announcements? Please note, announcements for meetings on other phone bridges can be shared AFTER the meeting schedule information has been given.
12) TELEPHONE NUMBERS
If you would like to request someone’s phone number, please call out their name and we will try to collect the numbers now.
13) CLOSING: THANK EVERYONE FOR SERVICE.
Leader will now read, or ask for a volunteer to read, Al-Anon's Closing Statement, found on page 22 in the Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual, or from How Al-Anon Works -- page 396 (new edition) or page 380 (old edition).
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
(Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual pg. 12)
14) MEETING SCHEDULE
a. Meeting schedule and phone bridge information can be accessed on the web at www. phonemeetings.org. You can access information for other Al-Anon phone meetings via the web by going to www.al-anon.org. As of June 2015 an audio recording of all the meetings on this phone bridge can be accessed by dialing 712-432-8733 and entering “TIMES” or 84637#. You can access a recording of most of the meetings on other Al-Anon phone bridges by calling 712-432-8774, pin code 52639#.
b. Are there any announcements for meetings on other phone bridges?
c. Turn the meeting over to the Newcomer Greeter who will provide information about Al-Anon and phone etiquette.
The FORMAL MEETING IS NOW CLOSED.